Wednesday, February 8, 2012

In HIS image.

Ugly days, Fat days, Bad Hair Days... And the list goes on.



 Waking up in the morning getting ready for the day and not liking how something looks on me, how my hair turned out, what my make-up looks like. But you know what times ticking and I am already five minutes late. So I walk out and my day is based on how I look. As I am walking, there are things running through my head, "she looks so cute, that girl has pretty hair, her face is so flawless, she is so fit..." And all this comparing goes on and on. It makes me feel worse about myself and how I look that day. Since I already feel bad my day ends up being an "egh!" kind of day.
In all honesty we all have these days. A lot more than we should.
"You are altogether beautiful, my darling;
   there is no flaw in you." (Solomon 4:7)

Instead of getting consumed in the outer appearance we should be getting consumed in the word and learning about how Jesus views us. We were made in His image. He made everyone beautiful in their own way. I know that sounds so cliche but it is so true.
   In my case: 
   When I was in 7th grade I weighed about 135-140. I was fitting into my moms clothes. That is 22 years in age difference. And that is a lot of weight for a 4 foot & 11 inches 13 year old girl. Then I began to drop a lot of weight because I was so busy with sports by the beginning of my eighth grade year I was at 103. I was really skinny, everyone noticed, girls always told me, boys started liking me (I was always the good friend). I liked it, it felt good. When my freshmen year arrived I was not as involved in sports and could not find a way to keep my weight off. So I began to purge, I began to starve and work out a lot. This was consuming me. At school it was easy to keep up a front but at home I would let my guard down. I was always so cranky and mean with my family, always fighting with my mom. I was pushing my family away the farther they went the less they'd suspect of my eating disorder. Then I started getting into all sorts of trouble. Like boys, missing school, lying to my family, I was looking for a place where I belonged because home didn't feel like HOME anymore I didn't feel like a part of my family and I wanted out. My family was falling apart and it was all because I was separating them all. My mom trying to help me, my dad getting tired, my three sisters picking sides. My parents were planning on getting a divorce because my mom didn't want me anymore and wanted my dad to keep me. For him it was a sacrifice, that is the sad part. I felt like I was all alone. My 3.8 g.p.a went to straight D's. People say high school changes everyone and that turned out to be true in my case. I kept my habits going and I found myself so empty always, mad, sad, frustrated, bottled up with crazy emotions. I was looking for acceptance when that is not at all what I needed. Then towards the end of my sophomore year my family turned to Christ I was saved and that is when I began to realize the road I was going down was not the road i was intended for
NOW I can tell you that my family is the closest family I know, of course we fight sometimes but we're pretty tight knit. We are all saved, serving our Lord, living for Him. We were all transformed. We ALL believe that if I had not gone through this stage in my life who knows where we would all be at. So in a way my rebelliousness, my sickness, my stage was a way of bringing my family to Christ, to be who we are as a family today. A family with a purpose, we strive to be loving and to be as united as possible.
This is Kayla, Melissa, Kattie. My sisters:)

As for me: Yes, I still deal with self image issues. But tell me, what girl doesn't? And every time I start to feel low my Jesus reminds me that "I AM BEAUTIFUL!" He sees NO FLAWS. That was an awful season in my life but it brought out so much good. Every situation has a purpose. A lot of what went on in those two years shaped me in to who I am today.
& that would be Me:)


So you see we get all caught up in the newest trends, what our bodies should look like, what we should be eating, what we should be wearing. When the truth is we should be getting caught up in how He views us, we should be reflecting what He has taught us and continues to teach us. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:1) We should all be perfecting our hearts because in the end that is whats going to reflect on the outside. Not all pretty faces, have pretty hearts. Do not let your adorning be external the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear. (1 Peter 3:3) Don't fall into that category. Our God wants us to be like him. A person with a loving, forgiving, honest, caring heart. Those are only some of the many qualities that He has. We should strive to have every single one He is. It is not always easy but it is achievable. He will not offer anything He knows we cannot do. We NEED to find joy in Him and not in people, nor places, or things. 

When YOU learn to reflect the image of God YOU will be able to see more and more that YOU are beautiful. YOU are made in His image. YOU were fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14) 

-xoxo Vanessa 

11 comments:

Wendy R. said...

Vanessa this is GREAT! You see in life struggles always make us stronger, even if in that moment we don't see it, he does. I am glad I know Christ bcuz if I didn't I would have NO hope for NATE, but because I was raised knowing God is always their for us, I know he has his reasons behind this just like I know HE will get Nate through this. Ur story is beautiful & I'm glad u put it out their. It's something people should see. :) not everyone's lives are always "perfect" but after many rainy days they sure can get pretty dang close! :)

Vanessa Guzman said...

Thanks so much! I am glad you like it!!! It is definitely hard going thru stages of life feeling like there is no solution when all we have to do is trust him. And yes not everyones life is perfect but sadly a lot of us like to have others perceive that way which is sad because we all have a breaking point and that time will come where we have to admit we NEED help and others. Im so happy this was worth something:) Tell nate i say hi. And I'm praying for him daily. thanks again.

Life in Fast Forward said...

Vanessa,

That is such a great testimony! That totally ignited a spark in my heart, as I am dealing with struggles from my middle and high school years still. This is very inspiring.

What I love most is how you take ownership for where your mind was but you than give all the glory to Christ of being pulled out of this. I think this is so great!

I look forward to reading more blog posts. This is truly a very beautiful and inspiring testimony.
Thank you for sharing!
MJ.

Vanessa Guzman said...

Thanks MJ,
I am so glad that this was of some use to you. A lot of the times it is hard to move one from things that occurred in the past or to know that some bad deeds do not go unpunished and sadly sometimes we're still paying for things that happened years ago, but with HIM there are NO records of wrongs. If you ever need to talk just let me know, prayer requests let me know, a friend, whatever I'm here:) But Seriously knowing now that it's helping others like your self and like myself, make me want to keep writing. Im happy you will continue to read my blogs:) Stay tuned;) lol

James Kim said...

This is dope! You're beautiful no matter what the world thinks, only what God thinks is relevant. It's so hard to find only joy in God. I struggle with that so much not to make clothes, money, etc idols. I changed a lot when I was in high school too, but so glad I made the mistakes I did at a younger age cause a lot of people go through College falling away from Christ as I get stronger in Christ. But keep up the posts I'll keep reading them for sure! And let's meet up for coffee or shopping soon haha! Keep your eyes locked on God :)

-James Kim

Anonymous said...

Love you beautiful!! Blessed beyond measure! Great testamony i never knew none of this till this day, im happy everything is going well planned as you wanted it as God put it in the way He wanted, he knew what you were gonna go thru and he put u threw those situations so you may share it the the world, your amazing and im so happy on what your doing with your life, i thank you because you were one of my good friends that i needed, the one that came when i needed someone, the one that brought me to christ. I miss our hanging out days and i cant wait to hang out soon!! Love you so much n miss you continue to be strong and share Gods love:) Jeremiah 29:11 <3 xo -HOPE

Vanessa Guzman said...

James
Thanks a lot:) and yes it is hard but no one said it would be easy. And I feel like high school can be a very defining point in everyones life. I also can tell you I am happy that things happened farther back because it helped me realize who I am as person today. We should definitely meet up sometime, sounds like a plan!

-Vanessa

Vanessa Guzman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jade said...

This is really cool and good for you for making the change to become a healthier happy person. Your blog will Inspire many:)

Follow me @ jaderay.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yes baby girl we soooo need to hang out i Miss you tons too, its no bueno that we dont even see eachother. But we will and we will have a blast cant wait!! Love you mucho! And thanks for sharing muah! N i already voxered you lol
-Hope

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!
ClassicDiamondHouse Black & Cubic Zirconia {C.Z.} Diamond Silver Bow Brooch Pin